Having work done in your home is exciting but can be a little intimidating. Here are some questions and answers to help you with that process.
Q: What do I need to know before getting an estimate for cabinets?
A: Generally the cabinet maker will want to know several things, including:
1) Can you send photos of the space?
2) Do you want painted, stained or natural wood?
3) Approximately how many linear feet of cabinets are needed?
4) What is your budget?
5) What style doors?
6) Do you want full-extension drawer slides, soft close?
7) Do you want the shelving to be adjustable or fixed?
Q: How do cabinet makers price their work?
A: Generally they price projects like bookshelves by how wide it is, also known as
the linear foot.
Q: What is the difference between a carpenter and a cabinet maker?
A: In general, a carpenter is a broad term for someone who works with wood. A
cabinet maker is a carpenter who creates cabinets, bookshelves, vanities, etc.
Q: Is it better if I buy the wood for my project?
A: No. Let the expert handle it because they know the best place for the
highest quality of wood, the best prices, and the quantity needed.
Q: What do custom cabinets and bookshelves do for my home?
A: Custom cabinets and bookshelves allow homeowners to optimize the their spaces.
Removing a wall and opening up the kitchen with custom cabinets visually adds
square footage. Bookshelves can have lower cabinets to increase storage and add
personality to a room.
Q? What questions should I ask when getting an estimate?
A: When interviewing a company, some of the questions to ask include:
1) Where the cabinets are made?
2) What are they made of?
3) How long have they been in business?
4) In what areas of town do they generally work?
5) What do they do better than their competitors?
Q: How long does it take?
A: Cabinets are usually built at the shop and then delivered and installed,
so the disruption can be minimal. It really depends upon the size of the project;
it could be one or two days or some weeks.
If you would like to submit a question fill out the form below.